At the Warner Center Association’s June 2014 Emergency Response and Security Task Force (ERSTF) Meeting, our members learned about cybercrime, who are the entities that perpetrate this type of crime, and how it can threaten individual and company security. Most importantly, we discussed some key actions everyone can take to avoid cyber security vunerabilities, including the following:
1. Actively monitor security on all electronic devices
2. Stay in the loop with your IT provider on these issues
3. Monitor your remote storage – know where your backups are
4. Do not depend solely on firewalls
5. Understand the differences between cyber security and physical security
6. Remember that technology is always changing, and thus needs to be continually updated
Additionally, our members also heard from Assistant Sheriff Todd Rogers, candidate for the Los Angeles Sheriff Department (LASD), who spoke regarding his goals for the future of the LASD.
For more information on how to protect yourself from cyber criminals please see Verizon’s 2014 Data Breach Investigations Report available for download here.